free forum
March 2018

Calendar Calendar

PhotoOverlay tool

Go down

PhotoOverlay tool

Post  maciasluis on Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:44 am

PhotoOverlay tool

hose of you following this blog know I traveled to New Mexico this past weekend for the X PRIZE Cup at the Holloman Air Force Base near Alamogordo. This was a great air and space show! I'll be bringing a full trip report (including photos) later this week, but I'm still on my way back. I flew a Cessna 182 out there, and its going to take me a little while to get back. On the way out, I flew via Houston, Tx where I stopped to visit family. While there, my sister-in-law Christine took me to the Houston Museum of Natural Science where we got to see Lucy (the 3.2 million year old remains of a very distant ancestor). See the GPS track of the flight [Google Earth File. You must have GE installed.] to New Mexico from last Wed/Thursday in Google Earth. The track was colorized by altitude and 3D datapoints courtesy of (see previous story on how this is done).

Here's some other news of interest:

* PhotoOverlay tool - DigitalUrban has released a tool to help you place photos with the new PhotoOverlay feature in Google Earth 4.2. I will review this later this week after I get back from the trip.
* CIA World Factbook - This nice collection of placemarks showing links to CIA World Factbook [Google Earth File. You must have GE installed.] data in Google Earth for countries around the world was updated last month to reflect the update of the database. Read more about the layer.
* Another BMNG - Barry Hunter announces he is hosting a new NASA Blue Marble Next Generation (BMNG) network link [Google Earth File. You must have GE installed.] which provides superoverlay 500 meter resolution views of the Earth (open the folder to see the choices of different versions). These specially enhanced world-wide satellite photos include different versions for each month of the year so you can get a sense of the seasonal changes viewed from space (see a time animation of this). As Barry notes in his post, this version isn't intended for every day use, but it does produce some higher-resolution versions of the BMNG which are nice to view. The new version was developed by Jonathan van Tuijl.

GIS Geek

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum